What If I DO Have US income?

What if you DO have US income?

The process is as follows:

1) Fill out the Intake Form and bring a paper copy with you when you come to see us. (See Intake Form.)

2) Gather your immigration documents:

  • Social Security Card (if you have one)
  • Passport and Visa
  • I-20 or DS-2019 form
  • I-94 form

Please also gather (and bring to your appointment) the following items:

3) Any income documents such as Forms W-2, 1042-S, and others, such as any Forms 1099 (e.g., 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, and 1099-G). See description below for clarification;

4) Copies of your tax returns from tax year 2016 (US federal return and all state returns), if any;

5) US bank account information, specifically your routing and account numbers, so any refund(s) can be directly deposited into your bank account. Refunds cannot be deposited into a non-US bank account.


When you have collected all of the documents listed above, email us at taptax@nd.edu to make an appointment. For more, please visit our "Using our services" page.


Income Documents

NOTE: If you were issued any of these documents and do not bring them with you, we will not be able to prepare your tax returns.

  • If you worked at Notre Dame, you should have a Form W-2. You should have been mailed a copy by the Payroll Department. The copy would have been mailed to your address of record by the end of January. You can also access it within insideND.
  • If you had another job during the year, such as an internship or other where you were an employee, you should also receive a Form W-2 from that employer.

You may have received a Form 1042-S. This form will also be mailed to you by the Payroll Department. These are not mailed until around February 15.

  • You would have received a Form 1042-S under the following circumstances:
    • If you filled out a form earlier with the Payroll Department claiming a treaty benefit
    • If you received a scholarship above the amount of tuition
    • If you are an athlete on a scholarship
  • You may have received a Form 1099-MISC if you performed work not as an employee, but as an independent contractor. If you received a 1099, you would probably be aware.
  • You may have received a Form 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, or other Form 1099 from a financial institution that reports dividends, interest, and other items of investment or passive income.
  • If you worked at Notre Dame and don't think you received either a Form W-2 or a Form 1042-S, do not make an appointment, but contact us taptax@nd.edu or stop in to our office in Room 108A, LaFortune Center during the days and times on the main page.