Filing an Extension

What is an extension and why would I need to file one?

The normal deadline for filing tax returns is April 15. For those who are unable to meet the deadline, there is a process called a "Request for Extension of Time." This would include anyone using our email services, since we do not do those returns until after April 15. It would also include anyone else with a return that is likely to be filed after April 15.

I. Requesting a Federal Extension

  1. You can ignore all of the instructions on the form.
  2. Fill out the bottom of Page 1 of the attached form. Use a permanent address, not the one you will be leaving at Notre Dame. Do not forget your Social Security Number.
  3. Notice that there are zero's in the boxes on the right hand side of the form. They are supposed to be there, do not change them.
  4. If you live in the US, cut off the form and mail just the form to "Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0215." Don't forget to stamp the envelope.
  5. If you don’t live in the US, send the form to us at and we will mail it for you. Write to us first at this address for an encryption link.

Attachment Form 4868 Extension Request

II. Requesting an Extension for a State Other Than Indiana

If you have only Indiana income, you do not need to file an extension with the State of Indiana. Indiana recognizes the federal form as binding on them as well.

If, however, you have income from a state other than Indiana, it is up to you to see what the rules are for that state. Some states (such as New York) require the filing of their own extension form and will charge you a penalty if you owe money and have not filed one. Be advised.

If you need help or cannot figure it out yourself, please let us know.