Credits and Deductions

In some cases, individuals may have credits or deductions that will reduce their taxable income.  For any of these, proper receipts and documentation are required.

International students and scholars who file as non-residents can deduct:

  • State and local taxes (found on your W-2)
  • Contributions to U.S. charities
  • Student loan interest

Students who have been in the US for more than five years and scholars who have been in the US for more than two years may also be able to deduct or claim the following:

  • College tuition and fees
  • Spending for child and dependent care
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Earned Income Credit


Again, to deduct any eligible expenses, proper documentation is required.