What to bring

Taxpayers should bring:

  • Social Security cards for all individuals listed on the return
  • Driver’s license or government issued identification card 
  • Copies of tax year 2016 U.S. federal and state tax returns
  • Income documents such as Forms W-2 and 1099 (1099-DIV, 1099-INT, etc.), etc.
  • Other forms and papers that report income
  • Bank account information (routing and account numbers) so that any refunds can be directly deposited into your account
  • In addition, the State of Indiana allows a deduction for rent paid to a private landlord. To get this deduction, the amount of rent paid and the name and address of the landlord must be provided.

Taxpayers should also bring information concerning possible credits or deductions. These include:

  • Mortgage interest
  • Real estate taxes
  • Personal property taxes
  • College tuition and fees
  • Medical costs
  • Charitable contributions
  • Spending for child and/or dependent care

Three of the sites usually have Certified Public Accountants on duty. Taxpayers with more complicated tax problems (e.g., capital gains and/or losses, business income or losses, death in the family) are encouraged to bring their information to these centers:

  • River Park Library branch
  • Downtown South Bend Library
  • Saint Mary’s College